Whats the scariest thing that can happen during an operation? - Waking up - happens to 30,000 people a year

Home » Science & Technology » Whats the scariest thing that can happen during an operation? - Waking up - happens to 30,000 people a year

Whats the scariest thing that can happen during an operation? - Waking up - happens to 30,000 people a year

High on the list of potential horror stories would have to be waking up during surgery, unable to move or communicate and felling the surgeons operating on your body.

They awake during surgery, unable to move or scream. Some remember hearing their surgeons talk, and a few recall feeling intense pain.

1 or 2 in every 1,000 surgery patients wake during surgery.

Anesthesia awareness occurs in 1 or 2 of every 1,000 surgical patients — possibly more often in children — and is thought to happen to roughly 30,000 Americans each year.

Some just have fleeting memories of things they heard, but others describe “white-hot pain” and terror, triggering long-term emotional problems.

Carol Weihrer of Reston, Va., said that 11 years after awakening during surgery to remove a diseased eye that caused severe pain, she still has post-traumatic stress disorder, can sleep for just short periods and suffers mood swings and panic attacks.

Weihrer, who founded the group Anesthesia Awareness Campaign Inc., said she heard the doctor give instructions: “Cut deeper, pull harder.” “I actually saw them cut the optic nerve when everything went black,” she said.
... Quote:
While you’re laying there on the table you are thinking, praying, cursing, plotting, pleading, trying to crawl off the gurney, trying to kick, scream, move any part of your body to let them know you’re awake. In effect, you are entombed in a corpse.

Kathy LaBrie of Nashua, N.H., also suffered awareness during surgery for a deviated septum. She said she heard
... Quote:
the sound of pushing and grinding and the surgeon talking to the nurses about the kind of car he had. ... I tried moving my arms and legs — I couldn’t do anything. I thought I was dying.

Unfortunatly, as the article goes on to discuss, there is nothing that can be done to reduce these waking sessions.

Sweet dreams....

More on the topic here..
 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id...
By netchicken: posted on 24-3-2008

I read of a man waking up during open heart surgery.

Aftward, he told tghe surgeon, who didn't believe him, until the patient told the doctor about the conversation in the operating room. The doctor then fainted in horror.

Can you imagine? :run
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 24-3-2008

Whats the scariest thing that can happen during an operation? - Waking up - happens to 30,000 people a year | [Login ]