Keep things cool with a simple to make non electric fridge

Home » Current events and news » Keep things cool with a simple to make non electric fridge

Keep things cool with a simple to make non electric fridge

Heres a handy way to make a fridge for camping or when you have no electricity. This invention has been around a long time and finally meeting a need in villages in Nigeria. Wonderful how a simple solution saves so much work for people. I wonder if it needs clay pots to draw the heat out or if metallic or plastic posts work as well.

This is Mohammed Bah Abba's Pot-in-pot invention. In northern Nigeria, where Mohammed is from, over 90% of the villages have no electricity. His invention, which he won a Rolex Award for (and $100,000), is a refrigerator than runs without electricity.

Here's how it works.

You take a smaller pot and put it inside a larger pot.
Fill the space in between them with wet sand, and cover the top with a wet cloth.
When the water evaporates, it pulls the heat out with it, making the inside cold. It's a natural, cheap, easy-to-make refrigerator.

So, instead of perishable foods rotting after only three days, they can last up to three weeks. Obviously, this has the potential to change their lives. And it already has -- there are more girls attending school, for example, as their families no longer need them to sell food in the market.

From http://www.newmediaexplorer...

fridge-without-electricity.jpg - 12.71kb
By netchicken: posted on 7-4-2008

Wow! What an excellent idea; he deserves the 100 grand!

You know, here were are sitting around in advanced societies, and we can't even come up with a way to....*fill in blank as I can't even think of something that needs to be done*.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 7-4-2008

Yeah I have seen this in real life when I was in India. There they actually used water between the pots. I think that water would be better than wet sand however wet sand may last longer.

Anyway the basic principle behind this kind of refrigeration (IT is not strictly refrigeration but more of a cooler ) is evaporative refrigeration. A clay pot is REQUIRED for this to happen because with a clay pot some of the water in the sand is absorbed by the clay and is exposed to the atmosphere. That water evaporates cooling the pot. Its just like sweating. The internal pot is metal as metal is an excellent conductor of heat and thus as the wet sand in the outer pot cools the metal pot cools just as fast.

This is not something new and I doubt there is any single inventor, more like this has been developed through trial and error.

In India, during the summer you can see these huge clay pots on street corners that have cool drinking water in them for people to use for free.

Also in the third world countries clay pots are easier to make and cheaper than plastic or metal ones. In America clay pots are actually costlier than plastic pots even though clay is cheaper than plastic.
By IAF: posted on 7-4-2008

Keep things cool with a simple to make non electric fridge | [Login ]