The end of the SUV bubble - killed by high fuel prices

Home » Current events and news » The end of the SUV bubble - killed by high fuel prices

The end of the SUV bubble - killed by high fuel prices

Rising fuel prices have left SUV owners with vehicles that cost a small fortune to fill and have lost their resale value. One person in the article spends $75 to fill his Dodge Ram, 3 times a week.

Is this the end of the SUV fad?

After paying $75 to fill his black Dodge Ram pickup truck for the third time in a week, Douglas Chrystall couldn't take it anymore.

Feeling pinched at the pump, and guilty as well, Chrystall, a 39-year-old father from Wellesley, is putting ads online to sell the truck, and the family's other gas-guzzler, a Jeep Grand Cherokee. He knows it will be tough to unload them because he is one of a growing number of consumers downsizing to smaller, more fuel-efficient cars.

Americans are turning away from the boxy, four-wheel-drive vehicles that have for years dominated the nation's highways.

Sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks - symbols of Americans' obsession with horsepower, size, and status - are falling out of favor as consumers rich and poor encounter sticker shock at the pump, paying upward of $80 to fill gas tanks.

The sale of new SUVs and pickup trucks has dropped precipitously in recent months amid soaring gas prices and a weakening economy: SUV sales for the month of April alone fell 32.3 percent from a year earlier and small car sales rose 18.6 percent.

This fundamental shift comes against a backdrop of relentless gas increases, and growing concerns over the environment and US oil consumption, according to auto analysts and car dealers
... Quote:
The SUV craze was a bubble and now it is bursting. It's an irrational vehicle. It'll never come back.
said George Hoffer, an economics professor at Virginia Commonwealth University whose research focuses on the automotive industry.

More on the site http://www.boston.com/news/...
By netchicken: posted on 7-5-2008

Well this is one fad where the sentiment "good riddance to bad rubbish" is most apt. The entire concept of efficient use of resources is lost in America as plenty has always been the norm.

But I hear companies like GM etc are coming out with the hybrid Suv's etc to satisfy both ends of the market.
By IAF: posted on 7-5-2008

Now, if people will stop using pick-ups as if they are cars I might be able to see that there is absolutely nothing in front of the idiot that is in front of me in the passing lane!
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 7-5-2008

I actually think that the "its gone and will never come back" is a case of famous last words.

Eventually fuel will drop, or a bio fuel will get popular and people will move back to those big vehicles, again, might take a few years but I don't think they are gone just yet.

Remember at the last fuel crisis when everyone went small car crazy, then fuel dropped again and they came back more popular than ever.
By netchicken: posted on 7-5-2008

i don't think its anyones business what i drive. i can afford my truck so mind your own f*cking business, hippie.
By goatbone: posted on 6-6-2008

Paving the ground you park on LOL!!

Nice truck :)
By netchicken: posted on 6-6-2008

The end of the SUV bubble - killed by high fuel prices | [Login ]