Billionaire gives up on possessions doesn\'t own car or house

Home » Bizarre world » Billionaire gives up on possessions doesn't own car or house

Billionaire gives up on possessions doesn't own car or house

Billionare Nicolas Berggruen lives in hotels and works on his Blackberry while jogging. If you had so much money that you could do whatever you wanted, then living simply and having a hotel as a base would be an easier lifestyle. A facinating story.

His philosophy of possessions being temporary is unusual for someone who can have anything.

After making his billions, Nicolas Berggruen lost interest in acquiring things: He sold off his condo in New York, his mansion in Florida and his only car. He hatched plans to leave his fortune to charity and his art collection to a new museum in Berlin after he dies - since he doesn't have a wife nor kids.
... Quote:
For me, possessing things is not that interesting.
Living in a grand environment to show myself and others that I have wealth has zero appeal.
Whatever I own is temporary, since we’re only here for a short period of time. It’s what we do and produce, it’s our actions, that will last forever. That’s real value.

With rice farms in Cambodia, windmill farms in Turkey, an ethanol plant in Oregon and glittering new skyscrapers in poor inner cities around the world, Mr. Berggruen is pumping millions of dollars into projects that he hopes will both expand his fortune and alleviate social ills.
... Quote:
Historically, I've made my money in financials. Now, I'm investing in the real world. I'm investing in the ground, in things that will last for generations and improve people's lives.
says Mr. Berggruen, 46 years old, whose net worth is estimated at more than $3 billion.

Despite his wealth, Berggruen succeeded to remain a mystery. He has avoided the press and has never appeared on the Forbes list of wealthiest individuals, although he would likely qualify. When a Dutch magazine tried to publish a profile of him several years ago, Berggruen bought up all the copies and destroyed them.

His personal habits are legendary among friends and colleagues. He works 12-to-14-hour days. He rarely visits his offices around the world, preferring to work in hotel rooms and restaurants. When he is in New York, he does most of his work on his BlackBerry while speed-walking around Central Park.

For Mr. Berggruen, chocolate is a primary food group. He eats two meals a day, one of which usually consists of chocolate cake. When David Bonderman, founder of TPG, the private-equity firm, went trekking with Mr. Berggruen in the Himalayas, Mr. Bonderman rode a horse. Mr. Berggruen bounded up the mountain fueled on chocolate bars.

More on the sites below

He also throws some great parties :)
 http://www.newyorksocialdia...

http://pollsb.com/polls/pol...

http://www.chicagotribune.c...

NicolasBerggruen.jpg - 11.61kb
By netchicken: posted on 25-5-2008

Billionaire gives up on possessions doesn\'t own car or house | [Login ]