BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - a fabric skinned car

Home » Online videos » BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - a fabric skinned car
More Online Videos

BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - a fabric skinned car

How about a car that uses fabric instead of sheet metal?

What a neat idea, just watch some guy with a pocket knife slice it open. :)

The fabric skin of the BMW GINA concept car is used to cover metal wires, which can be moved to achieve different shapes using electro-hydraulic devices.

How does it all hang together? Well, wire mesh and carbon fiber.

The BMW GINA allows the driver to change both the exterior and interior of the car for as many number of times as desired.

So you want a low-slung skirt - you got it. Want a spoiler, you got that too!

The headlights are revealed when the fabric moves apart, and the engine is accessed when the bonnet seemingly splits to reveal its innards.

Take a look at this photo gallery of the amazing BMW concept car.
 http://www.dancewithshadows...

bmw-gina-light.jpg - 23.98kb
By netchicken: posted on 11-6-2008

Well that was awesome. Especially the lights in the front.

As for slicing it open, I'm sure they will make it out of teflon or something that wont scratch easily. I just have a question of cleaning the damn thing. Can you take it to a car wash ? Does it need to be cleaned at all ?? But the concept is really cool.

Also there are questions about how stiff the fabric really is. I mean as it travels in opposition to the wind, will its shape deform with the air pressure on it creating pockets of drag ? How are its thermal properties etc are also some interesting questions before we it becomes practical.
By IAF: posted on 11-6-2008

BMW GINA Light Visionary Model - a fabric skinned car | [Login ]