In 1951 the CIA dug a tunnel under Berlin to tap Soviet cables - amazing planning

Home » World History » In 1951 the CIA dug a tunnel under Berlin to tap Soviet cables - amazing planning
More History Articles

In 1951 the CIA dug a tunnel under Berlin to tap Soviet cables - amazing planning

The tunnel was 1,476 feet in length and consumed 125 tons of steel liner plate and 1,000 cubic yards of grout . . . This was not a small operation!

Fifty years ago, the CIA embarked on a project to intercept Soviet and East German messages transmitted via underground cable. Intelligence was collected to determine the best place to hit the target, and then concrete planning for a new collection site was begun.

Early in 1951 when I was working in the Engineering Division of the Office of Communications, I received a message from some people in the office of the Deputy Director of Plans—specifically the chief of Foreign Intelligence/Staff D (FI/D), and a member of his team—requesting a meeting.

The meeting was short. The only question they asked was whether a tunnel could be dug in secret. My reply was that one could dig a tunnel anywhere, but to build one in secret would depend on its size, take more time, and cost more money. After the meeting, I was transferred to FI/D. Thus began planning for the construction of the Berlin Tunnel.

We started building the tunnel in August 1954 and completed it in February 1955. Debate has swirled around the net intelligence value of the operation. But the completion of this demanding project—accomplished in secret and under exacting conditions—is a tribute to the resourcefulness and expertise of an outstanding team of professionals.

Much more on the link
 https://www.cia.gov/library...

tunnel_interior.jpg - 33.89kb
By netchicken: posted on 17-6-2008

In 1951 the CIA dug a tunnel under Berlin to tap Soviet cables - amazing planning | [Login ]