Firearms in NZ - $7000 for a pistol

Home » Current events and news » Firearms in NZ - $7000 for a pistol

Firearms in NZ - $7000 for a pistol

We hardly ever see any guns in NZ, apart from hunting rifles, in fact I have never even seen a pistol in 'real life'.

Tonight on TV they were talking about illegal guns in gangs, and the scarcity of pistols became obvious.

A pistol that had a legitimate price of about $700 would go for up to $7000 each on the black market! (NZ dollars are close to US Dollars)

So $7000 for an ordinary pistol just shows how few are around.

An interesting statistic :)
By netchicken: posted on 19-6-2008

HOLY CRAP!!!!

That is such a shame, Netty; I am so sorry!

If you ever have the opportunity to come to Alabama we'll take my weapons and go to the range; you can shoot until your heart is content.

I don't hunt, but I can hook you up with hunters if you want to do that. Personally, I find the steaks at the supermarket much easier to catch and I don't have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to get them. :tu
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 20-6-2008

Our big debate is should our police be always armed.

At present they might carry a pistol and rifle in the boot of their car, but in some cases they have to return to the police station and get a gun from there first.

The problem is also that the vests are only stab resistant and not bullet resistant.

Every time the police use a gun its national news, and the very few times they have killed someone has created uproar in the country.

So we are pretty much gun free here :)

Actually I DID once see a pistol, the farmer I was working for in Israel one time came out with his pistol and Uzi into the banana fields, and although no one told me why, I read years later it was because Syria tried to invade the night before only to get their tanks stuck in mud after a heavy rainstorm in the Golan heights. :) Here was I dumb worker almost in the middle of a war zone.
By netchicken: posted on 20-6-2008

Wow! That's a little more than just shooting up tin cans! Glad you didn't get caught up in a sho-nuff!! :run

I think that in this country, the way it is today, we should take our cops' tazers away and give them bazookas. We'd be a whole lot more safe.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 21-6-2008

Firearms in NZ - $7000 for a pistol | [Login ]