Engineer claims to get110MPG out of standard engine

Home » Science & Technology » Engineer claims to get110MPG out of standard engine

Engineer claims to get110MPG out of standard engine

Reports like this are often too good to be true, a backyard tinkerer modifies a stock engine to achieve amazing MPG. Why have the engineers of the hugely resourced car companies never picked up the ideas? Personally I think its BS.

Doug Pelmear has tweaked his Mustang to get 110 mpg, making the engine nearly five times as efficient as a traditional gas engine, he told the Toledo Blade newspaper.
... Quote:
We redesigned a lot of different things on the [engine] block. It's still a rod-and-piston engine; it just has a lot more electronics on it.

Traditional gas engines operate at 8 to 10 percent, efficiency, while the engine on the Mustang is at 38 percent efficiency.
He said he could greatly increase even that number if his car used traditional gasoline instead of a mix of gas and 85 percent ethanol.

Pelmear told television station WNWO that the car hasn't traded power for miles per gallon. Pelmear said the car has 400 horsepower, goes well over 100 mph and can go from zero to 60 mph in three seconds.

More on the link
 http://www.toledoblade.com/...
By netchicken: posted on 5-7-2008

Well claims like this have always been there. There is no official body out there to validate such claims. No matter how good one is at pottering about, the fundamental basics under the engine are the same. There is very little left to be "discovered" or invented in the IC engine area.

Now, it is possible to get 100MPG out of an engine. But there are various factors that prevent us from making it a reality. As for his 38% efficiency engine. I highly doubt that to be true. 38% is very very high efficiency.
By IAF: posted on 5-7-2008

I've heard of "super-light" cars created by universities that can, (and have), traveled clear across america on a single tank of gas, but these are not street legal, nor very fast. Volkswagon is trying to legalize a vehicle that may get nearly 400mpg if the winds blowing with it, however they're encountering problems with saftey testing.
I personally would like a hydrogen car, with my own water-hydrogen converter/fuel pump installed in my home. Infinite mpg, as far as gas is concerned, and when you use solar panels at your home is litterally 100% clean and free (and free is very good. If you sell your hydrogen you stand to make a profit!). The only trouble with it is that the act of retrieving the electricity from hydrogen when it recombines with oxygen is very high-end technology, and can cost you dearly. I'm waiting for when it's cheaper, and preferably comes in SUV's.
By peregrine: posted on 1-8-2008

Also, on another note, I remeber hearing something about a man building his own electric car on the history channel. I don't remeber all the details, but he used electric motors that some factory was throwing out, and about 30 some odd car batteries. All around his house there were loads of car batteries charging, and in his car there's no room anywhere except for the two front seats, even the engine area and the trunk were filled. What was cool was that not only did he save money, seeing as the gas for his truck was so expensive, but his new junky electric car had some very decent guts.
By peregrine: posted on 1-8-2008

A bunch of mechanics at work are adding home-made hydrogen kits to their cars. The kits are made of mason jars, stainless steel plates separated by non-conductive washers, a tube that runs from the jar to the pcv valve, and wires that go from the plates to an ignition line that is only hot when the car is running.

They are getting between four and ten miles to the gallon better efficiency.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 4-8-2008

By the way, a buddy just called. He installed one of those contraptions in a motor home. It is getting 40% better mileage!
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 4-8-2008

Engineer claims to get110MPG out of standard engine | [Login ]