You know that athiest communist Chinese leadership? - They are promoting Christianity

Home » Current events and news » You know that athiest communist Chinese leadership? - They are promoting Christianity

You know that athiest communist Chinese leadership? - They are promoting Christianity

In China Christianity has now over 70 million adherents. Slowly the Chinese government itself sees the benefits of turning their society into the biggest christian nation in the world.

Professor Zhao Xiao shuttles between the private sector and officialdom, giving elite management seminars to CEOs and advising government cadres on the economy. "If eating Chinese cuisine will make me stronger, then I'll eat it, and if Western food makes me stronger, then I'll eat that," said Zhao, a 40-year-old Communist Party member and economist.

Zhao's interest in Christianity began when he embarked on a study of how economies in predominantly Christian societies differ from non-Christian ones. He visited South Korea, Singapore and Hong Kong.

To his own surprise, he began advocating that Christianity could offer China a "common moral foundation" capable of reducing corruption, narrowing the gap between rich and poor, promoting philanthropy and even preventing pollution.

In lectures and writings, Zhao now argues that promoting the 10 Commandments would cultivate "a civilization based upon rules." Likewise, providing business owners with "a motivation that transcends profits" might keep them from seeking shortcuts that have fouled China's environment or cheated workers. And encouraging tycoons to donate some of their wealth would develop China's civic institutions, Zhao argues, just as early American Christians founded Harvard and Yale Universities.

When Zhao took his theory public in lectures to political elites, he braced himself for criticism; as a party member, discussing his newfound faith could stymie his career. Instead he was stunned to discover that many people agreed with him.

He is no political heretic. On the contrary, he thinks permitting Christianity to play a greater role in society could help guarantee the party's survival at a time when communist ideology is no longer visible in daily life. He believes it is comparable to the party's decision, a generation ago, to embark on economic reform.

"We see that the Communist Parties of the Soviet Union and all of Eastern Europe have collapsed, and their countries have collapsed with them," Zhao said. "But the Chinese Communist Party survives ... precisely because it continues to change."

Influential Christians such as Zhao have expanded the role of religion to where it is today in China.

Excellent article continues here
 http://www.chicagotribune.c...
By netchicken: posted on 20-7-2008

Yet Christians are still persecuted there.

Still, the thought of such change is a wonderful thing!
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 21-7-2008

You know that athiest communist Chinese leadership? - They are promoting Christianity | [Login ]