Humans are born to run - we can outrun every animal on the planet

Home » Science & Technology » Humans are born to run - we can outrun every animal on the planet

Humans are born to run - we can outrun every animal on the planet

As a person who loves running its not just a sport, or recreation, we are born to run, our bodies are specifically tuned for long distance exercise. - its a great article! Get outside and do what you were created to do, go for a run.

http://discovermagazine.com...

When walking "Your center of gravity, which is basically near your belt buckle, r-i-i-i-ses"—he takes a slow-motion step forward with his right leg and pauses, now up on the ball of his right foot—"so that it's over your leg."

The body has now stored potential energy. The arch of the foot stiffens, and Lieberman pushes off against it. As he tips forward, potential energy converts to kinetic energy, and he swings his left foot ahead to complete the stride.

But in running, he says, the legs become springs. You land on and squash the entire arch and bend your knee. So initially the body's center of gravity falls. "You go down—and then you go up," Lieberman says. Kinetic energy from the crash landing is stored in the many stretchy tendons of the arch and the leg, most notably the huge Achilles tendon connecting calf muscles to the heel bone. Like rubber bands, the tendons extend and then recoil—boing!—to launch you onto the next step.

... Quote:
"So why do we have all these tendons in our legs? You don't evolve big tendons unless you're a runner. Kangaroos, antelope, and other serious animal runners all have a great set of springs, which do nothing for walking. So our tendons can't be explained as being necessary for walking.

Lieberman notes.

Although much of the anatomy that lets us lope is the same equipment that humans first evolved for walking, the researchers say many of our physical traits seem tailor-made for sustained running.
By netchicken: posted on 15-9-2008

Humans are born to run - we can outrun every animal on the planet | [Login ]