40,000 people seek free food from farm

Home » Current events and news » 40,000 people seek free food from farm

40,000 people seek free food from farm

Welcome to the new reality, people clamoring after free food.

PLATTEVILLE, Colo. -- A farm couple got a huge surprise when they opened their fields to anyone who wanted to pick up free vegetables left over after the harvest -- 40,000 people showed up.

Joe and Chris Miller's fields were picked so clean Saturday that a second day of gleaning -- the ancient practice of picking up leftover food in farm fields -- was canceled Sunday. " 'Overwhelmed' is putting it mildly," Chris Miller said. "People obviously need food."

She said she expected 5,000 to 10,000 people to show up Saturday to collect free potatoes, carrots and leeks. Instead, an estimated 11,000 vehicles snaked around cornfields and backed up more than two miles. About 30 acres of the 600-acre farm 37 miles north of Denver became a parking lot.
ad_icon

Miller said they opened the farm to the free public harvest after hearing reports of food being stolen from churches. It was meant as a thank-you for customers.

http://www.washingtonpost.c...
By netchicken: posted on 25-11-2008

Not a new reality. Had I been nearby I would have picked up a couple pieces of this or that, too. If nothing else, I would have gone to just be on the farm. That might sound a bit odd, but not everyone has access to farms nowadays!

We aren't starving in this country, don't worry about us. :)
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 25-11-2008

I was thinking more about this.

Around here we have pick-yourself strawberry and blueberry farms. You pay for the privilege of going out into the field with your container and picking your own food. Uh-huh, that's right; you pay to pick it yourself. Think how it would be if it didn't cost at all! I wouldn't be typing right now. I would be at the blueberry farm, considering my bushes have been a disappointment.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 26-11-2008

If you have to rob a church you are sad. I for see a smoking section for you. As for the food I would go and get a few veggies.
By Enigma: posted on 27-11-2008

TC we have those here, its a case of "pick one, eat one". I heard of one person who went out picking strawberries with a small tin of icing sugar to dip them in before eating :)
By netchicken: posted on 28-11-2008

... Quote:
Originally posted by netchicken
TC we have those here, its a case of "pick one, eat one". I heard of one person who went out picking strawberries with a small tin of icing sugar to dip them in before eating :)

I never thought of that! That is a wonderful idea.

The fields around here don't suggest eating while picking, but I think it is important to keep up one's strength while working in the field. :tu
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 28-11-2008

40,000 people seek free food from farm | [Login ]