Supermarket beef comes from cattle dosed with growth hormones

Home » Science & Technology » Supermarket beef comes from cattle dosed with growth hormones

Supermarket beef comes from cattle dosed with growth hormones

In this short but sobering article cattle farmed in factory lots after leaving the farm and before slaughter, are dosed with growth hormones to speed up their muscle growth.

Is this is only in America, where you might expect such abuse. Nope, the article is Australian. A good reason to specifically ask for New Zealand beef.

Itís the secret they donít want you to know. Supermarket beef comes from cattle grown with hormone growth promotants (HGPs).

These are small pellets that are injected under the ear of cattle. They contain anabolic steroids and encourage the animal to artificially put on more bulk. Not fat but muscle. Think body builders.

HGPs are used in feedlots and, depending on the season, 80% of supermarket beef comes from cattle raised in feedlots. The supermarkets donít advertise this. In fact they donít want you know.

As a food writer it took me several weeks of pestering the supermarket companiesí representatives to give me a clear answer. They told me to ask the feedlot industry. This is like me asking Toyota what brand of petrol you put in your car. It was disingenuous in the least, probably evasive, perhaps deceitful.

Eventually they admitted that HGPs are used in raising cattle. When I published this is in a leading metropolitan newspaper I received emotive responses from farmers accusing me of being sensationalist and even a liar.

The cattle farmers did not believe that HGPs were used in the cattle industry. They sign a statutory declaration that they have not used HGPS on their farms, so they were incredulous that HGPs were used in the feedlots to which they sold their cattle. When I presented them with the facts they were astonished.

I am not calling into question the safety of HGPs. That is for someone else to decide. What I am questioning is the lack of honesty in the beef and supermarket industries.

More here
 http://www.gmagazine.com.au...
By netchicken: posted on 23-12-2008

Supermarket beef comes from cattle dosed with growth hormones | [Login ]