The best of Sledge Hammer - Trust me, I know what I\'m doing

Home » Online videos » The best of Sledge Hammer - Trust me, I know what I'm doing
More Online Videos

The best of Sledge Hammer - Trust me, I know what I'm doing

These clips remind us just how awesome Sledge Hammer was back in the 80's. Great jokes and sight gags. It would be a real hit if it was on TV again.

Sledge Hammer! was a satirical police sitcom produced by New World Television that ran for two seasons on ABC from 1986 to 1988.

Inspector Sledge Hammer of the Los Angeles Police Department is a violent, sadistic, insensitive, yet oddly likable detective. His best friend is a .44 Magnum with a customized grip featuring a drawing of a sledgehammer. Hammer sleeps and showers with his gun, and even talks to it. Hammer believes in shooting first and asking questions never.

Hammer drives a beat-up, bullet-riddled, lime green Dodge St. Regis with an "I love VIOLENCE" bumper sticker. He prefers to wear cheap sports jackets, loud neckties, and dark sunglasses.

He is divorced, and frequently makes jokes at the expense of his ex-wife (who makes an appearance in the final episode, played by Rasche's real-life wife, Heather Lupton).

Despite his irresponsibility and utter incompetence, Hammer always ends up getting his man (or woman), often through sheer luck or brute force.

Hammer's unintentionally ironic motto is "Trust me. I know what I'm doing." (Disaster usually follows afterward.) Another expression he often utters is "Don't confuse me", typically in response to any remark that challenges his ridiculously one-dimensional worldview.

Hammer's partner is the beautiful Detective Dori Doreau (played by Anne-Marie Martin), who is competent, kind, sensitive, intelligent, and sophisticated—everything Sledge is not. Doreau is often shocked and offended by Hammer's crass behavior and obnoxious attitude, but she appears to see some redeeming qualities beneath his gruff exterior.

(Indeed, it becomes apparent with time that she has some romantic feelings for Sledge.) Hammer's blatant male chauvinism is a running gag in his dialogues with Doreau:

Doreau: What, you think all women should be barefoot and pregnant?
Hammer: No, I encourage women to wear shoes.

And finally Sledge defuses a nuclear bomb ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...

Sledge-Hammer.jpg - 28.1kb
By netchicken: posted on 20-1-2009

The best of Sledge Hammer - Trust me, I know what I\'m doing | [Login ]