The Matrix is Real???

Home » Bizarre world » The Matrix is Real???

The Matrix is Real???

Radical physicist pushes computer-centric view of universe

Las Vegas Physicist Stephen Wolfram took the stage this week at the Comdex Fall 2002 trade show, evangelizing a computing-centric view of the universe that might sit better with the technology industry than it has with some other audiences.

Mr. Wolfram believes the universe is composed not of particles and waves, but of simple tiny programs. He believes these myriad programs, or algorithms, give rise to physical phenomena as fundamental as space and as complicated as human beings.

Scientists accustomed to explaining the universe's workings through mathematical equations haven't always received Mr. Wolfram's ideas warmly. But the computer industry, whose inventions allowed Mr. Wolfram to develop his philosophy, could be an easier sell. Mr. Wolfram elevates the seemingly mechanistic computing tasks to the central role in the origin and functioning of the cosmos.

Ultimately, technologists will be able to harness this constant computational churning for practical purposes, he predicted in remarks after the speech.

"There's a broader range of [computing] things, and they don't all have to be based on CMOS and gates," the technology that underlies today's microprocessors, he said. "Systems out there in nature are already doing computations as complex as the ones that correspond to human intelligence."

The speech, which delved into dizzying abstractions such as the curvature of space and the impossibility of simplifying some computing problems, was a departure from the usual Comdex fare. The trade show is devoted to the here and now of technology, but Mr. Wolfram encouraged his audience to look further into the future not just two or three years, but a century. His ideas and others will eventually be important, he believes.

"What feeds the pipeline of technology is science," Mr. Wolfram said.

Mr. Wolfram believes his small programs should get equal or better billing than mathematical equations as a way to explain and understand the world. Simple programs can give rise to phenomena with tremendous complexity, such as turbulence in water, whereas equations excel only in areas where effects can be simplified and end results easily predicted.

"Out there in the computational world, even extremely simple rules can produce complicated behaviour," he said.

There are some types of problems that are more likely to benefit from his way of thinking, he said. Economists are beginning to base their research on algorithms. Human vision likely uses algorithms that could be adopted in computer vision. Understanding the algorithms and rules that govern the formation of biological tissue could vastly improve transplants and medicine.

"What I think is going to be possible is to have computational models of biological cells in which all the possible processes going on will be represented by little programs," Mr. Wolfram said. Those new models could lead to the ability to design drugs and predict their effects, he said.

Mr. Wolfram's ideas got their start when he was trying to solve puzzles such as why asymmetry and structure should emerge in the universe. Now he believes he has an explanation: Simple rules and algorithms can produce unpredictable chaos. For cosmologists, he believes the next step is determining what those rules and algorithms are.

"One day, perhaps quite soon, we're really going to know the final fundamental rules of the universe," he predicted. "I think the rules will turn out to be quite simple. Determining how the universe is created from those rules turns out to be hard, hard work."

Mr. Wolfram's breakthrough came from thinking about "cellular automata," simple interactions between black or white cells and their neighbors in a grid. He tried out 256 different sets of rules by which the contents of one line of cells were determined by the contents of the cells immediately above.

The rules are simple, and most rules give rise to simple, repeating patterns. But some, most famously with No. 30, generate patches of unpredictable randomness. It was that mismatch between simple rules and complex results that piqued Mr. Wolfram's interest.
By William One Sac: posted on 25-11-2002

Wow, too complicated for me :)
Isn't the the dream of 1/2 the people who have ever seen Matrix? .. that it is true ...

and in a way it is... its a christian allegory
By netchicken: posted on 27-11-2002

How so? :o
By William One Sac: posted on 1-3-2003

Ahh Stephen Wolfram. Interesting guy. Hosts a number of excellent sites including a fantastic mathematics encyclopaedis.  http://mathworld.wolfram.com/). Recently wrote a very interesting but rather weighty book and is currently on an extended lecture tour.

His basic discovery is this -- and these ideas are similar to chaos theory. It is possible to have a very simple algorithm or set of rules that produces wildly unpredicatable results. His research started with a small pattern of three dots in a line which could be black white or grey. With this is a simple rule that is used to draw another line of dots beneath it. Draw a black dot if the one above is black and the aboveone to the right is grey. Draw a white dot if... and so on. With some simple rule patterns he found fantastic artistic and unpredicatble patterns were formed.

He hypothesised that patterns on sea shells for example and a host of other things might be governed by processes like this. Hence his "new kind of science" tour.

Similar sort of thing to what has been done by mathematicians researching differential equations and chaos, and also similar to fractals.  http://www.ultrafractal.com -- great links.) Just a different mechanism.

Quite what this has to do with the matrix, I'm not sure, but then I only saw the movie once. :Þ
By j_sum1: posted on 4-3-2003

You've only seen it once!!!!

Bout time you saw it again as the next one comes out in May I think.

I wonder where they got the story of the matrix from, maybe they used the same sources to write it.....
By netchicken: posted on 5-3-2003

Uh huh. Only once. I will give it another hit again soon.

Story is similar to "Tron" a B grade Disney from the early eighties. The programs lived on the computer and debated the existance of the programmer. Not that I'm saying the Matrix is a copy, but elements of the story are by no means original.
By j_sum1: posted on 5-3-2003

i wish i was in the matrix...i wod fly:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:guy:yak:ws:ws:ws:ws:ws:ws:ws:ws:ws:ws
By gantly: posted on 12-6-2003

The Matrix is Real??? | [Login ]