America Is Broke, And Here We Are Funding Fantasy Wars at the Pentagon

Home » Military Technology / Videos » America Is Broke, And Here We Are Funding Fantasy Wars at the Pentagon
More Military Articles

America Is Broke, And Here We Are Funding Fantasy Wars at the Pentagon

An interesting article on how the Pentagon is spending money on preparations for wars that will never eventuate, and that military equipment is produced as a way to create jobs rather than for real world specified applications.

There's no great mystery about the causes of the deep dysfunction that has long characterized the Pentagon's weapons procurement system.

In 2006, Thomas Christie, former head of Operational Test and Evaluation, the most senior official at the Department of Defense for testing weapons and a Pentagon veteran of half a century, detailed more than 35 years of efforts to reform the weapons acquisition system.

Christie concluded: "After all these years of repeated reform efforts, major defense programs are taking 20 to 30 years to deliver less capability than planned, very often at two to three times the costs and schedules planned."

The Air Force and the Army are still planning as if, in the reasonably near future, they were going to fight an old-fashioned war of attrition against the Soviet Union.

While the Navy, with its eleven large aircraft-carrier battle groups, is, as William S. Lind has written, "still structured to fight the Imperial Japanese Navy."

Lind, a prominent theorist of so-called fourth-generation warfare (insurgencies carried out by groups such as al-Qaeda), argues that "the Navy's aircraft-carrier battle groups have cruised on mindlessly for more than half a century, waiting for those Japanese carriers to turn up.

The inevitable day of reckoning, long predicted by Pentagon critics, has, I believe, finally arrived. Our problems are those of a very rich country which has become accustomed over the years to defense budgets that are actually jobs programs and also a major source of pork for the use of politicians in their reelection campaigns.

Much more on the link
 http://www.alternet.org/wor...
By netchicken: posted on 4-2-2009

Surprisingly here is another article on the same topic, military planes are really just jobs.

The Defense Secretary has made himself perfectly clear: The military already has plenty of $340 million stealth fighter jets. But military and industrial supporters of the F-22 Raptor keep pushing to buy more and more of the ultra-advanced aircraft.

Their latest tactic involves rebranding the plane as a jobs program, and launching an online "grass-roots" campaign to keep the F-22's production lines open.

http://blog.wired.com/defen...
By netchicken: posted on 4-2-2009

This just goes to show how ignorant the loopy libs really are.
... Quote:
While the Navy, with its eleven large aircraft-carrier battle groups, is, as William S. Lind has written, "still structured to fight the Imperial Japanese Navy."

The Russians have no desire to be left in the trash heap of history. They are making that very clear. They are also forming alliances with those who have no love for the West, such as Iran, Syria, etc.

Beyond Russia, don't forget that the Chinese military trains to fight a war with the U.S. Why is that? We have never indicated any intentions of invading them.

Who is it that is going to be the threat in 20 years? Do these liberals think that those who create the weapons that give us the technological edge can do it over a weekend? Remember WWII? It took us a while to build the military necessary to fight the Germans and the Japanese.

I think it would be much cheaper if we spent a lot more money on home defense and less on projecting global influence, though.
What wild and wonderful weapons could be created that would insure the rogues, renegades, despots and dictators would never touch us if we simply set our minds to it?
How wonderful that would be if we could simply ignore all the onsgoings of the world. Islam takes over Europe and Asia?
Pfft, so what?
The Soviet Union reforms and spreads throughout the rest of the world the same happiness that the people of Poland enjoyed?
The Chinese decide to New Guinea, Australia and New Zealand into sweat shops so that they can sell their tyrannical buds in Europe cheap sneakers?
Hey, save me a pair!

You know, we would also save a whole lot of money and leave less of a carbon footprint if we didn't have to sail those silly carrier groups!
Of course, a lot of despots with nefarious thoughts might become brazen enough to do something that might go against liberal senses and sensibilities, and, sure, the welfare wagon wouldn't be able to respond to earthquake and tsunami disasters, but who cares?
If we had some sort of shield over North America and sort sort of devastating weapon that could be used from here or from space, I am sure the rest of the world would learn to live without the U.S.
As a matter of fact, I think a lot of people would love for us to stay on the land between our shores.

Well, we can all dream. Yes, the Happy Shiny People and I share a dream. I don't think it would work out the way they want it, though.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 5-2-2009

Sometimes, T_C, your subtle cynicism takes a little while to follow :)

Yes, I believe we should just scrap all those expensive carriers, count the money we save, and wait until the hordes turn up at our doorstep, then offer them an olive branch. That way, when they are burying our surprised looking bodies, they will have something to cover their footprints with before they take our many generations worth of hard work, and laugh at our stupid peacenik ideas.

Some people don't really comprehend just how many good men died for us to enjoy this freedom. It is usually because they have not seen what happens to those who cannot defend themselves.
By Kingy: posted on 6-2-2009

America Is Broke, And Here We Are Funding Fantasy Wars at the Pentagon | [Login ]