Obama says he will take the blame for AIG bonus problem

Home » World events & politics » Obama says he will take the blame for AIG bonus problem

Obama says he will take the blame for AIG bonus problem

This one of the most mature and dignified statements I have seen from a President ever. He gets my applaud for coming up to bat for his administration while everyone else runs the other way. I thought this was a joke from the Onion.com when I first read it

COSTA MESA, Calif. -- President Barack Obama said he will take the blame for bonuses being paid at American International Group Inc. if it will settle an intense finger pointing under way over how such payments were possible at a company that has received tremendous taxpayer aid.
... Quote:
Washington is all in a tizzy and everybody is pointing fingers at each other and saying it's their fault, the Democrats' fault, the Republicans' fault. Listen, I'll take responsibility. I'm the President.

So for everybody in Washington who's busy scrambling, trying to figure out how to blame somebody else, just go ahead and talk to me, because it's my job to make sure that we fix these messes, even if I don't make them.

We've got to make sure that we've got regulations that don't allow companies to take these huge risks that are so big that they can sort of hold us hostage,
The comments were an effort to change the subject, which has engulfed Washington this week, and pivot to his push to overhaul financial regulations that govern the system and that many blame for the underlying problems.

http://online.wsj.com/artic...
By netchicken: posted on 19-3-2009

Oh please!

He isn't seriously taking the blame for anything. He follows up his "blame me" with but...but...uh...it really wasn't my fault. He just looking for a way to attract attention away from the idiots in his pocket that really made the mess to begin with.
By Venus: posted on 20-3-2009

Show me any other president who has stood up and basically said "the buck stops here?" Bush?

Its a mature attitude where he takes responsibility for it. What more can you want? You hate him when you think he's wrong, and when he takes responsibility you hate him more.

Do you prefer the Republicans who say there is nothing wrong in AIG officials taking the retention bonuses even though they left the business?
By netchicken: posted on 20-3-2009

Maybe you haven't heard that Obama and Dodd were the top two receivers of contributions made by AIG. That sort of commits them to taking care of their buddies. It was Dodd that slipped this little provision into the package. He even admits it now after he lied and said he didn't know. Is that mature too?

Throwing Dodd and Geitner under the bus would indeed be the mature thing to do.
By Venus: posted on 21-3-2009

Obama might be taking the blame for the whole situation, but the real question and how we should judge him is....... what is he gonna do about it.
By mg.mikael: posted on 21-3-2009

Bzzz wrong again Venus, Dodd was against the payouts and wanted stricter laws.
... Quote:
Jesmer gets his facts backward. The truth is that Dodd, as chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, was responsible for getting Senate passage of a provision that might have prevented the AIG bonuses.

The public record reflects that Dodd championed tougher provisions than the White House or the Treasury Department wanted, and that the Obama administration lobbied for removal of the Dodd language from the stimulus bill that the president eventually signed. Dodd protested at the time, and agreed to the removal of his language only under protest.
 http://www.factcheck.org/po...

Good point about what he does next. Note that the republicans were in a quandary about what to do... http://www.slate.com/id/221...
By netchicken: posted on 21-3-2009

This is Senator Dodd....these are his own words.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...

HE added the loophole...he is to blame. He and Geitner.
By Venus: posted on 22-3-2009

Obama says he will take the blame for AIG bonus problem | [Login ]