The unwanted aliens who really are unwanted aliens - District 9 movie preview

Home » Online videos » The unwanted aliens who really are unwanted aliens - District 9 movie preview
More Online Videos

The unwanted aliens who really are unwanted aliens - District 9 movie preview

District 9 - A new film released in August produced by Peter Jackson and directed by Neill Blomkamp. In an alternate present, an alien race has landed on Earth and is forced to live in slum conditions, denied basic rights and forced to live in isolation.

They find a kindred spirit in a government agent that is exposed to their biotechnology.

Looks great!

Missing from this video is the sub title translation of the alien speech..

First answer: We didn't mean to land here, we had no choice.

Second answer: How can we go anywhere if you have our ship?

Third answer: We mean you no harm, we just want to go home.

.. and he definitely looks sad. (well how can you tell?)

Version with subtitles and unpixelated face....

district-9.jpg - 9.68kb
By netchicken: posted on 11-5-2009

This is a short file that District 9 is based on.

It is starting to feel like this 'real' incident...
By netchicken: posted on 31-5-2009

Level 5 alert! Non-Humans Have Escaped District 9 - more scenes from the upcoming movie
By netchicken: posted on 25-6-2009

Looks like the hype is rising on this new movie, especially with Rottontomatoes giving it a 100% rating.

Hollywood is buzzing with excitement about South African director Neill Blomkamp's debut film "District 9," a science-fiction thriller about aliens segregated in a Johannesburg township.

The movie -- about the struggles of insect-like extra-terrestrial refugees as they try to settle on Earth amongst hostile humans -- has garnered glowing reviews ahead of its North American release on August 14.

Produced by Oscar-winning "Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson, Blomkamp's film arose from the ashes of plans to adapt smash hit video-game "Halo" for the big screen.

Yet while the film's setting is a futuristic parallel universe, the story is unmistakably rooted in South Africa's recent bloody history of apartheid and anti-immigrant social unrest.

Vancouver-based Blomkamp, 29, acknowledges said that despite the symbolism of "District 9," he had not set out to make a "political" film.

"I was aware that I didn't want to make a film that sounded overly political and that the audience would find really draining," Blomkamp told reporters at a press event in Los Angeles.

"But I knew that I wanted the essence of South Africa to be captured and the essence of segregation and pure racism kind of hit it head on, because that was the environment where I grew up in.

"So there was a fine balance between these many analogies of apartheid and these many analogies of the white government and oppression."

Early reviews of "District 9" suggest Blomkamp has pulled off that balancing act -- Internet film review aggregator has given the movie a perfect 100 percent rating.

The Hollywood Reporter hailed the movie as a "genuinely original science fiction film that grabs you immediately, not letting go until the final shot."

The film's central character, Wikus van der Merwe, played by South African Sharlto Copley, is an employee of a private security firm attempting to unravel the mysteries of the aliens' weapons systems, which can only be unlocked with alien DNA.

When Wikus is infected by an alien virus that begins to change his human DNA, the hunter becomes the hunted and he is forced to seek refuge among the extra-terrestrials in their Soweto-like ghetto, District 9.

Blomkamp said Johannesburg was the logical setting for the film, doubting it could have been made anywhere else.

"I think it would be incredibly difficult to replicate what we have in Johannesburg," he said. "There is so much visual detail here, the dirt or barbed wire or weeds, it's incredibly rich visually. For the film to work, I think you need this level of reality and this level of pollution and realness."

New Zealand film-maker Jackson meanwhile said that Blomkamp's South African identity had allowed him to "bring a unique perspective" to the story.

Jackson and Blomkamp first worked together during planning for a possible film version of Microsoft's XBox console hit "Halo."

Blomkamp had impressed Jackson with a short 2005 film "Alive in Joburg," which first presented the concept on which District 9 is based.

"I flew down to New Zealand to meet Pete and he signed off on me for 'Halo'; we started to make 'Halo' and then 'Halo' collapsed," Blomkamp recalled.

"I was getting ready to move back to Vancouver and then he and Fran Walsh said 'Why don't you just stay here and we can try another film? Let's use the momentum you created in Halo and just keep it going and start something new.' "That sounded like a good idea to me. So they kind of allowed this new film to happen and let me make it, which was awesome for me."

By netchicken: posted on 10-8-2009

The unwanted aliens who really are unwanted aliens - District 9 movie preview | [Login ]