Lasers

Home » Science & Technology » Lasers

Lasers

Okay, this is something I think you'll all enjoy.

You all are probably very familiar with the red laser pointers you can buy just about anywhere nowadays right? And some of you are probably even familiar with the green "sky pointer" lasers that science fans and astrologists use to specifically point at a single point in the sky, since the beam of a green laser is visible at night. Well, I found out something incredible last week... High power laser pointers (some more than 300x-700x more powerful than the average green or red laser pointers) that burn things!

It happened by accident really, my red laser pointer has been on the fritz for months now, and a week ago I decided to buy a new one. I therefore immediately went online to buy a green one as a sort of upgrade, since my physics teacher had one and it was very cool and bright, and almost no store that I know of sells green laser pointers.

So, like any smart shopper, I compared prices online to find the best deal and found out very quickly that there are different colored lasers besides red and green... there are also blue, and violet. That of course begged the question of which color was brightest, or most visible.

Green was very quickly pinpointed as both much more visible and much more cost effective, since blue and violet laser pointers can cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars. However, in my quest to find the brightest possible laser pointers I stumbled across something incredible.

I discovered that the brightness of a laser depends more on it's wattage than it's color. The average red laser pointer uses 1-5mw (milli-watts), and so do the average green laser pointers. This is the well known classification of IIIA lasers, but once you go past the 5mw point it becomes a class IIIB laser. These can be very bright, and have potential to burn.

Then I found sites that sold these lasers, among them being
  • dragonlasers.com
  • techlasers.com
  • megalasers.uk
  • skypointers.com
From the above mentioned sights, megalasers seems to be the cheapest source that remains reliable, and dragon lasers are both very expensive and very well made.

These lasers can be as weak as 50mw, to the decent 125mw, to ludicrous power outputs of 200mw, 300mw, 400mw, and 700mw(only at certain sites). Anything above 200mw tends to become unaffordable to the average consumer, the 200mw lasers costing only a hundred or so, while a 400mw or 700mw can cost several thousand. You get what you pay for.

However, a relatively low powered high powered laser such as the 125mw versions are still very powerful (and dangerous). A 125mw green laser pointer , aside from blinding you permanently in 1/4 of a second, is visible in lighted rooms and non-sunny days, can pop dark colored balloons, cut electrical tape, burn paper, light matches, and sting people. The 125mw laser can also be seen for up to 100miles, as opposed to the 1mile visibility of my current red laser.

Here is a video of a 125mw green laser doing some of the above mentioned things...

and here another video of a high powered green laser at night.

I highly recommend looking up any and all laws in your area regarding lasers pointers before buying any of these. Some examples for my area include...

• No lasers within three miles of an airport (although as stated many reach far past 3 miles)
  • no pointing lasers at or near cars, traffic, people, airplanes, etc...
  • and I believe that I need to be 18 years old to purchase a class IIIB laser too... good thing I'm 18!

rm01.jpg - 12.31kb
By peregrine: posted on 29-6-2009

For some reason, I thought just how much fun you would have carving up someones tent :)

Lasers seem to be an answer waiting for a question. Fun to have but of no practical use so far.

Here is an article on the green ones

http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com...

Military lasers seem to be on the edge of becoming reality, and I think they are starting to use lasers in operations.
By netchicken: posted on 29-6-2009

... Quote:
Originally posted by netchicken
For some reason, I thought just how much fun you would have carving up someones tent :)

Lasers seem to be an answer waiting for a question. Fun to have but of no practical use so far.

Here is an article on the green ones

http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com...

Military lasers seem to be on the edge of becoming reality, and I think they are starting to use lasers in operations.

Actually net, lasers are everywhere. Your computer uses them to read and burn cd's, blue ray disks us the newly developed 405nm(nanometer) wavelength laser, which is the color blue, to write and read even smaller information, since the smaller wavelength allows more space on the disk. You can only get a laser to pinpoint so small before the light wiggles too much.

Also, infrared high-powered lasers are used to guide missiles, measure temperatures from afar, and measure distances.

Lasers are used to precisely cut steel, or anything else that needs cutting, and lasers are, of course, used in presentations, by astrologists, hunters, and many other civilian uses.

They are functional as well as fun!

Similarly, Obama just canceled five jets that only a few months ago patrolled the borders of America with anti-missile lasers on board. They had an effective range of 5 miles, and have proven themselves in countless test to be very effective against most types of missiles, including ICBM's. The laser on board is a chemical laser, not a solid state laser, measured in megawatts instead of the above milliwatts. Unfortunately, they cost 1.5 billion to build, and even more to upkeep, and with the 1 trillion dollar bailout we can no longer afford to defend our borders...

FL_airbornelaser_090507.jpg - 8.98kb
By peregrine: posted on 29-6-2009

Lasers | [Login ]