A guide for war correspondents in conflict areas

Home » Middle East conflict » A guide for war correspondents in conflict areas

A guide for war correspondents in conflict areas

This fascinating article, written by a war correspondent, covers how he prepares for working in war zones. One important hint is to focus on upcoming conflict areas, which at the moment is in the Horn of Africa. Guess where the military focus is going to shift to in the next few years.

... Quote:
Don't Follow the Pack
For most of the last eight years, Afghanistan was the "Forgotten War", and Iraq was the "Central Front". The US government has now reversed gears, and the US media is now falling over itself to relocate all the balls it dropped. As mainstream journalists are beginning to grapple with the complexity of Afghanistan-plus-Pakistan, special operations are quietly moving on to the Horn of Africa. Try to think outside the extremely cramped box—by the time it's "news," it's pretty old.

Ever wonder how war photographers survive out there? We've enlisted Teru Kuwayama—a photographer who has covered conflicts in Iraq, Afghanistan and other hotspots for Time, Newsweek and Outside—to explain the perils of working in a war zone.

Among military planners, there's an aphorism that states: "Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics."

The daily mechanics of photographing in a "war zone" don't have much to do with photography—mostly it's about getting from point A to point B without getting your head cut off, then finding a signal and an outlet.

I'm probably not the right person to be give advice on war photography, since I don't even count myself as a war photographer—but for one reason or another, I've spent the better part of the last decade in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. I was a young photographer when these wars began—I'm not anymore, and from all indications, the "long war" is just getting started.

For what it's worth, here's some advice for first timers heading out to the badlands.

http://gizmodo.com/5330715/...
By netchicken: posted on 2-9-2009

A guide for war correspondents in conflict areas | [Login ]