So what does the All Black Haka REALLY mean?

Home » Current events and news » So what does the All Black Haka REALLY mean?

So what does the All Black Haka REALLY mean?

Recently people have been asking what the All black's Haka, really meant. When looking through the websites for a translation of the terms I was surprised that they were quite different from what I had learned years ago....

Here is the version I have heard ...
... Quote:
A Maori chief was on the run from his enemies, he hid at an old womans house (his grandmother?) the enemies came looking for him, so she hid him in an old kumera pit (sweet potato storage hole).

While the enemies looked everywhere for him, she squatted over the hole to hide it from them.

The song comes from that episode, when the chief looks up at the old lady's private parts above him and contemplates that he came from there, and that it was protecting him from death as well. ....

I tried to find a link, but it is so sanitized, that there are numerous meanings for the tourists etc .

here is a link...
 http://www.irbu21.com/IRB/F...

A fellow member who is Maori and has more background knowledge on this matter, posted the following....
... Quote:
...I heard the same explanation to Te Rauparaha's 'Ka Mate Ka Mate' as well...the thing is that like most Haka there are variations on the story of its origin.

Like most things Maori, well, we like to make the story a bit more exciting or add a lil bit here and there...the art of story-telling is revered...lol.

The line 'Tenei te tangata puhuruhuru' - 'This is the man of hairy disposition'...that is an interesting one. Most people claim it to be in reference to the chief Te Wharerangi *who was said to be quite a hairy dude* who aided in hiding the rebel Te Rauparaha.

Some say its in reference to the genitalia of the old woman sitting above him on the kumara pit...saying that the true line is actually 'Tenei te WHARE tangata puhuruhuru'...totally different meaning there...for Whare Tangata means 'House of Man', which is the reference Maori use for female genitalia.

So...some say that the haka was not really in honour of the chief Te Wharerangi...but rather an acknowledgement to

a)The old woman for risking her life and covering *literally* for the hiding Te Rauparaha...and

b)an acknowledgement that while a female sitting above Te Rauparaha would have normally been something of an insult to someone of such standing, it WAS what saved his very life...and as you say, once again, the 'whare tangata' gave him life so he acknowledged that

Te Rauparaha rises victorious from the grave reborn again to fight on.

...well...thats the story anyway...

The Words of Ka Mate
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
I die! I die! I live! I live!

Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
I die! I die! I live! I live!

Tenei te tangata puhuru huru
This is the hairy man

Nana nei i tiki mai
Who fetched the Sun

Whakawhiti te ra
And caused it to shine again

A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
One upward step! Another upward step!

A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
An upward step, another.. the Sun shines !!!
Hi !!!
http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1068329636830_2003/11/12/haka_1311.jpg
By netchicken: posted on 8-8-2004

Yeah I heard that translation too; it's quite amusing seeing as the whole world has to endure it every time we play rugby. Actually a lot of other sports, such as softball, soccer... The list goes on.
By blue_sky_miner: posted on 4-9-2005

Another website on the Haka has emerged in time for the World Cup in Rugby.

Note how sanitised the words have become, like all things with the All Blacks the words have become marketable.

Its sad, the origin is lost under marketeers driven hype.

http://rugby-worlds.blogspo...

This is a far more interesting video on it. Note the skinney little guys that the All balcks were! Grant Fox, a great All Black said the professional players of today are far bigger and stronger than the amatuers of then.

By netchicken: posted on 13-9-2007

So what does the All Black Haka REALLY mean? | [Login ]