A lucky escape, bullet grazes back and exits out helmet - Afghanistan

Home » Military Technology / Videos » A lucky escape, bullet grazes back and exits out helmet - Afghanistan
More Military Articles

A lucky escape, bullet grazes back and exits out helmet - Afghanistan

Lt Paddy Rice of 1 Grenadier Guards shows where a bullet penetrated his helmet while in Afghanistan.

The bullet struck the officer just beneath his left shoulder blade, then travelled inside his back and up to his neck, where it left his body, passed his right ear before blasting a hole through his helmet.

After being injured, Lt Rice, who was serving with the battalion's Inkerman Company, was flown by a Medical Emergency Response Team Chinook helicopter from his base to Camp Bastion, where his wounds were cleaned and left open for three days before being stitched under general anaesthetic.

The 25-year-old Guard's Officer was offered the chance of recuperating from his wound in the UK but refused and is now back serving with his platoon on the front line in the Nad e'Ali area of central Helmand.

He continued:
... Quote:
I put my hand up to the back of my head and I could see blood and I think I said something to my platoon sergeant, Gert Botha, such as "I've been shot.

I was helped down from the roof and I radioed company headquarters, gave contact report (a message informing others that there has been an enemy attack), and said "there is one casualty and it's me I've been shot". I wasn't panicking I had considered how I might react if I was shot or injured but because everything seemed to be functioning normally I think I realised I would be OK.

On arriving at the base where Lt Rice had been shot, medics were surprised at the calmness shown by the officer, who was sitting down smoking a cigarette when they arrived at his base

lucky-escape-afghanistan.jpg - 39.32kb
By netchicken: posted on 22-11-2009

A lucky escape, bullet grazes back and exits out helmet - Afghanistan | [Login ]