Kingston SD Memory cards have core components from Toshiba/Sandisk

Home » Websites & software » Kingston SD Memory cards have core components from Toshiba/Sandisk

Kingston SD Memory cards have core components from Toshiba/Sandisk

An electronic manufacturer working in China gets a supply of bad Kingston SD Memory Cards. After getting suspicious that they might be fakes, he dissembles a selection of SD cards and finds that despite the Kingston labels they all come from Toshiba/Sandisk and Samsung.

So Kingston don't actually make their own SD cards, with their own components, they are vendors that use others components. Every Kingston card surprisingly had a Sandisk/Toshiba memory chip inside, and the only variance or “value add” that could be found is in the selection of the controller chip. The blogger thought that Kingston are sold the lower quality chips (A-/B+ chips) from the bigger manufacturers.
... Quote:
Significantly, Kingston is revealed as simply a vendor that re-marks other people’s chips in its own packaging.

Oddly enough, of all the vendors, Kingston quoted with the best lead times and pricing — better than SanDisk or Samsung, despite the competition making all their own silicon and thereby having a lower inherent cost structure. This tells me that Kingston must be crushed when it comes to margin, which may explain why irregular cards are finding their way into their supply chain.

Kingston is also probably more willing to talk to smaller accounts like me because as a channel brand they can’t compete against OEMs like Sandisk or Samsung for the biggest contracts from the likes of Nokia or RIMM. Effectively, Kingston is just a channel trader and is probably seen by SanDisk/Toshiba as a demand buffer for their production output. I also wouldn’t be surprised if SanDisk/Toshiba was selling Kingston “A-” grade parts, i.e., parts with slightly more defective sectors, but otherwise perfectly serviceable. As a result, Kingston plays a significant and important role in stabilizing microSD card prices and improving fab margins, but at some risk to their own brand image.

Very interesting read with lots of investigative work.

http://www.bunniestudios.co...

Very interesting commentary on the topic
 http://www.reddit.com/r/pro...

kingston-sd-memory-cards.jpg - 58.32kb
By netchicken: posted on 17-2-2010

Kingston SD Memory cards have core components from Toshiba/Sandisk | [Login ]