French teaching the Afghanis how to retreat

Home » Military Technology / Videos » French teaching the Afghanis how to retreat
More Military Articles

French teaching the Afghanis how to retreat

Observations from a photographer in Afghanistan. Eric Bouvet has been photographing Afghanistan since 1986, documenting life under the Taliban, the mujahideen, and several foreign armies. He has visited the country about a dozen times.
... Quote:
I've been doing this job for 28 years, with armies all over the world. I'd never seen this before. It's called a sandbox exercise, where the military trains soldiers by moving around plastic figures. I thought it was funny.

Here, a French soldier was teaching the Afghans how to retreat from the enemy. The Afghans are courageous. They can run and shoot. But they don't know how to organize, take a position, defend it, or come back alive.

They are not good at retreating. When they hold their rifles, they're pointing anywhere, near their heads. They walk like they're on a promenade. I played with these plastic soldiers when I was a kid. To see them here all of a sudden, at war, was incredible. The enemies are everywhere nearby. It's real life, not a game.

http://www.rd.com/your-amer...

french-retreat.jpg - 46.12kb
By netchicken: posted on 4-5-2010

French teaching the Afghanis how to retreat | [Login ]