D Day assault 1944 - The speech wrtten by Eisenhower if it had failed

Home » World History » D Day assault 1944 - The speech wrtten by Eisenhower if it had failed
More History Articles

D Day assault 1944 - The speech wrtten by Eisenhower if it had failed

Today with the benefit of hindsight it is easy to underestimate the seriousness of the final decision to go with the Normandy Invasion.

A small insight into the pressure Eisenhower was under in the final days prior to the landing might best be summarized by the contents of a short speech that Eisenhower had written in advance, should the landings have failed.

Long after the successful landings on D-Day this never-used second speech was found in a shirt pocket by an aide. It read:
... Quote:
Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based on the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt, it is mine alone.
 http://www.historytimes.com...
By netchicken: posted on 7-6-2010

D Day assault 1944 - The speech wrtten by Eisenhower if it had failed | [Login ]