Things I learned on the First Aid Course that the movies never tell you…..

Home » Current events and news » Things I learned on the First Aid Course that the movies never tell you…..

Things I learned on the First Aid Course that the movies never tell you…..

We have all seen medical emergencies on the TV, patient survives after hero administers CPR for an hour, person flatlines only to miraculously recover after being defibrillated. Its all baloney, and hold no reality in the real world. Heres what really happens...

Patient down check the Airway
Check the Breathing – for no longer than 10 seconds only.
Don’t check for the Circulation. You will never find the pulse when you try anyway.

Call for help immediately, before you start CPR. The time it takes for a medic to arrive determines if the person lives or not, not the time you take to give them CPR

If there is no heartbeat then the person is dead, don’t bother with a defibrillator, or CPR. There is no electrical signal to start the heart anyway. This seems to provide a dilemma, if you can't tell if there is a pulse, then how do you know without equipment that there isn't one? Does no breath always mean no heartbeat?

Flatlining is a sign of permanent death. The automatic defibrillator will not work if it doesn't detect a pulse (fibrillations? - the non pulse pulse).

The survival rate for someone having CPR is only 4%, and those 4% are mostly for people for whom the defibrillator arrives within the first 4 minutes.

If you didn’t see the person collapse then CPR won’t help them. They are dead.

There is a 70% survival rate if the defibrillator reaches them in 4 minutes. They lose 10% survival rate for every minute after that.

If the person hasn’t been defibrillated within 10 minutes, (10% for every minute down) they are dead.

CPR has nothing to do with starting the heart, its only to maintain the blood flow and blood pressure. That's why it is now 30 compressions to 2 breaths.

You can’t help people bleeding internally, just treat them for shock.

Shock compensates for a lack of oxygen to the body.

“If their face is pale, raise the tail (feet), if their face is red, raise the head”

Never ever use a tourniquet. Blood moving around the body removes toxins, blood stagnant behind a tourniquet poisons the body when it is released.
By netchicken: posted on 17-6-2010

Things I learned on the First Aid Course that the movies never tell you….. | [Login ]