Turkish man arrested for beating his wife when he was doing a dance - Kolbasti videos

Home » Bizarre world » Turkish man arrested for beating his wife when he was doing a dance - Kolbasti videos

Turkish man arrested for beating his wife when he was doing a dance - Kolbasti videos

A Turkish man living in New Zealand said allegations he beat his wife were the result of police misunderstanding a traditional dance called the Kolbasti. Sure enough videos show it to look like one person assaults another. Its also a darn skilled dance with the footwork.

Allaetin Can said outside the court building Thursday in the North Island town of Hawera he, his wife and his two teenage children had been dancing the kolbasti, a Turkish dance originating in the 1930s, in the parking lot outside of their kebab shop to celebrate a profitable day, Britain's The Daily Telegraph reported Friday.

Can said the reported hitting, kicking and strangling a witness reported him perpetrating on his wife, Elmas, were simulated moves that comprise part of the dance.

"We are always dancing," said Can, who pleaded not guilty to an assault charge.

The judge ordered police to view a DVD of the kolbasti being performed and then decide whether to push forward with the charge.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News...

Personally I am blown away by the dancing, its great!

Kolbasti.jpg - 23.99kb
By netchicken: posted on 7-8-2010

Apparently the Judge didn't believe him ...

A Hawera kebab shop owner has been convicted of assaulting his wife after the judge dismissed his claims they were performing a traditional Turkish dance as "nonsense and a lie".

Allaetin Can, 41, was yesterday found guilty of assaulting a female on July 30 this year and ordered to pay a $1500 donation to Women's Refuge after a defended hearing in the Hawera District Court.

The case attracted world-wide media attention in August when Mr Can and his wife Elmas claimed the altercation where they were seen by a witness in the Victoria St carpark was just a performance of the physical Turkish dance known as kolbasti.

Can claimed they were celebrating a profitable lunchtime trade.

But Judge Allan Roberts described Can as "a manipulative, deceitful man" who was using his family to protect him.

"I reject the explanation as a lie," the judge said.

The publicity of the dance was "an elaborate attempt on his part to provide an answer to the prosecution case", the judge said.

"Evidence before me leaves me in no doubt this was an assault. Cowardly, brutal, inexcusable, and he denied it."

Judge Roberts severely criticised the defence for letting the Can's teenage daughter take the stand and the Taranaki Daily News for its pre-hearing coverage.

"This proceeding has developed into a charade. This is an investigation of domestic violence. Incidents should not be trivialised or crafted to tell stories."

During sentencing, Can kept saying in the dock that he "didn't do it" before Judge Roberts cut him off and threatened to "put you out out the door".

"The only reason I'm not going to jail you is because it would probably tear your family apart. But you didn't give much thought to that when you kicked your wife on the ground on 30 June. You're going to get the message, whether you want to or not. Don't you ever, ever again lay a hand on a woman."

Earlier, a witness who has name suppression, told how Can kicked his wife in the back when she was on the ground with a loud thud that could be heard 30m away.

"They weren't cuddling. It looked to me the man was holding the woman around the head, like a headlock. There was resistance, she then fell to the ground. She had landed on her side and he kicked her in the back. From what I saw he was giving her a hiding."

The witness called out and Mr Can immediately went back inside his shop, while Mrs Can waved the witness away and yelled at her husband.

Defence counsel Grant Vosseler produced photos taken by the Taranaki Daily News showing the Can's engaged in a kolbasti dance in their kitchen.

In succession, both the Can's and their 14-year-old daughter took the stand, saying through a Turkish interpreter that they were dancing and the language barrier meant police had not understood that.

Mrs Can said she had fallen because she twisted her ankle and her husband had to rush inside to serve a customer. I imitate the hitting, but I don't actually hit. I never hit my wife, I never make her unhappy." Can said.

Police prosecutor Steve Michael said Can claimed he never saw the witness, despite looking right at her, and he had just left his wife lying on the ground.

"No, this wasn't true, I don't remember such a thing. I'm not crazy enough to beat my wife in the street," Can replied.

In the video taken of his police interview, Can claimed people "don't like him" because he "has good business".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nati...
By netchicken: posted on 30-9-2010

Turkish man arrested for beating his wife when he was doing a dance - Kolbasti videos | [Login ]