The shot that nearly killed me - war photographers talk about their photos

Home » Amazing Pictures » The shot that nearly killed me - war photographers talk about their photos
More Amazing Pictures

The shot that nearly killed me - war photographers talk about their photos

War photographers show the photos that represents their most dangerous experiences. A sobering and eye opening read.

The situation was very tense people were drunk and aggressive. I was with two other photographers most of the time, but at this moment I went back to the road alone. I saw three soldiers smoking, playing with their guns, and felt safe I don't know why.

Then I saw a man with a knife in his mouth, coming out of the bush he was holding up a hand like a trophy. The soldiers started laughing and firing in the air. I didn't think about it and began shooting. He walked directly at me. People surrounded us, celebrating. I thought, "Don't do anything crazy, just act like you're part of this crazy party."

When I got to the hotel, I showed the other photographers. They said, "Do you realise you could have been killed?" Only then did it hit me how dangerous it had been. Years after I took this picture, every time I see it I feel scared again.

I really hate this shot. It's the worst face of humankind. I always ask myself, "Why do I do this job?' And the answer is: I want to show the best and worst face of humankind. Every time you go to a conflict, you see the worst. We need to see what we do to be able to show future generations the mistakes we make. The guy with the knife in his mouth is a human being like the rest of us. What's important is that we show what human beings are capable of. The day I don't do that with my photography is the day I'll give up and open a restaurant.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/m...

Alvaro-Ybarra-Zavala-Cong-007.jpg - 36.89kb
By netchicken: posted on 10-1-2012

The shot that nearly killed me - war photographers talk about their photos | [Login ]