How to stop spellchecking parts of a Word 2010 document

Home » Websites & software » How to stop spellchecking parts of a Word 2010 document

How to stop spellchecking parts of a Word 2010 document

I seem to be working with really large documents at the moment, upwards of 200 pages and over 40K of words. The problem I am finding is that part of the text is made up of code and the spellchecker borks at all the 'errors' it finds and stops.

This wouldn't be an issue except I need it to to find the spelling errors in the real text, so after hunting around I found two ways to turn off the spellchecker for blocks of text.

Here is how you do it.

For a block of text, such as a paragraph that is a one off, highlight the text, and then click on the language on the Status bar at the bottom of your screen and tick Do not check spelling or grammar .

This works well, but if you have repeated sections, for example blocks of code there is an easier method.

For any document over a page you should be using styles, I use one for my code which I named appropriately "Code" as you can see in the image below

So to stop an entire style being spellchecked, right click on it in the Style Ribbon, Click Format button bottom right, and then choose Language. In the language options you find the same screen as above and only have to tick Do not check spelling or grammar.

I hope this helps people :-)

turn-off-spellchecker.jpg - 77.67kb
By netchicken: posted on 29-1-2013

How to stop spellchecking parts of a Word 2010 document | [Login ]