Why does Google hate your site?

Home » Websites & software » Why does Google hate your site?

Why does Google hate your site?

I get heaps of people wondering why Google doesn't like them. Here is a conversation with a bot which may give some indication...

from this great site...

A conversation with Google

A conversation with Google's automated crawling software (or "spider"), otherwise known as the Googlebot, might sound something like this.

You: Excuse me, Googlebot, why doesn't mysite.com rank well in Google for the keyword "help me?"

Googlebot: (raises a harried eyebrow and looks annoyed) Where shall I begin? First of all, your code is a mess. You have more lines of code than actual text and so many nested tables it makes my head spin.

Your home page has a keyword density of 24 percent, which is suspiciously high compared with the top-ranking sites in my database, all of which average about seven percent. Are you keyword stuffing? You know I don't like doorway pages!

You only have 12 backlinks going to your home page that I recognize, and six of them are from within your domain. The top ten sites have an average of 300 backlinks in my database and literally thousands of backlinks in Yahoo and MSN (not that I care about those hacks).

I've slapped you with a duplicate content penalty because I noticed that http://www.anysite.com has the same exact home page copy as you. Don't look so surprised - I don't care whose fault it is! On average, your site is 60 percent slower to download than every other site in my database and all your dynamic URLs are giving me a headache. Honestly, do you really need so many variables?

You don't have a site map so I can't easily crawl through the pages of your site, and all of your navigation is represented in images without meaningful ALT tags, so I don't know where I am when I click away from the home page. Your link partners are abysmal - they are not contextually relevant (which makes me suspicious) and you repeat the same exact words in the linking text, which makes me think you're doing automated link swapping. I've been here three times in the past month and your content has not been refreshed once. I can't be bothered with you and your stale, over-optimized content. I will be back to crawl you again sometime this century.
You: (sobbing)

Why doesn't Google like you?

• Your Code is a Mess

• You have a lot of code compared with actual text (e.g., nested tables, JavaScript)

• Your keyword density is high compared with your competitors

• You're keyword stuffing

• Your home page looks like a doorway page

• You have fewer backlinks than your competitors

• You have poor link partners

• You're linking to a site that's banned

• Your backlink text is repetitive

• You have no fresh content

• You have duplicate content

• Your site is slower to download compared to your competitors

• You have dynamic URLs

• You don't have a site map