Ancient manuscripts finally deciphered!

Home » Science & Technology » Ancient manuscripts finally deciphered!

Ancient manuscripts finally deciphered!

Wow this is interesting, I hope they quickly get released to the net....
Thousands of previously illegible manuscripts containing work by some of the greats of classical literature are being read for the first time using technology which experts believe will unlock the secrets of the ancient world.

Among treasures already discovered by a team from Oxford University are previously unseen writings by classical giants including Sophocles, Euripides and Hesiod.

Invisible under ordinary light, the faded ink comes clearly into view when placed under infra-red light, using techniques developed from satellite imaging.

The Oxford documents form part of the great papyrus hoard salvaged from an ancient rubbish dump in the Graeco-Egyptian town of Oxyrhynchus more than a century ago.

The thousands of remaining documents, which will be analysed over the next decade, are expected to include works by Ovid and Aeschylus, plus a series of Christian gospels which have been lost for up to 2,000 years.
By netchicken: posted on 17-4-2005

This is really exciting :)

Can't wait to hear/read what's found.
By parrhesia: posted on 18-4-2005

remember the dead sea scrolls, it took 40 years I think before people could read the translations, they were locked up only accessable to a few people. I hope things have moved on since then....
By netchicken: posted on 18-4-2005

I hope things will have changed in that respect, too. I wouldn't doubt if they haven't though. It could take years for a translation, and I don't think they would release bits and pieces as they move along. Probably just published pieces when the translation is finished.

I guess we'll see, though.
By parrhesia: posted on 19-4-2005

Here's a new article.

They are already releasing information from the manuscripts.

... Quote:
The Oxyrhynchus collection is of unparalleled importance - especially now that it can be read fully and relatively quickly. The material will shed light on virtually every aspect of life in Hellenistic and Roman Egypt, and, by extension, in the classical world as a whole.
said the Oxford academic directing the research, Dr Dirk Obbink

The breakthrough has also caught the imagination of cultural commentators. Melvyn Bragg, author and presenter, said:
... Quote:
It's the most fantastic news. There are two things here. The first is how enormously influential the Greeks were in science and the arts. The second is how little of their writing we have. The prospect of having more to look at is wonderful.
By netchicken: posted on 21-4-2005

Awesome! Thanks for the update, NC.

I'm really looking forward to this :guy
By parrhesia: posted on 27-4-2005

Ancient manuscripts finally deciphered! | [Login ]